Joe has recently been holding on to his transfusions pretty well. This makes me want to believe that the treatment has been effective. However, we’ve walked this road for long enough and at this point I have, unfortunately, guarded myself from feeling too much hope. I guess this is one of those moments when I allow myself feel both hope and fear.
We did get a bit of encouraging news. Joe has not one but Three great matches in the Be The Match database! (If I haven’t said this enough PLEASE go register at www.bethematch.org It is an easy process, and for the cost of feeling flu-like for about a week and taking some time off of work you could literally save someone’s life) Also, the FDA approved a new drug on the 1st of September that we believe Joe would qualify for. What this means for us is that we have a plan B if Joe has not reached remission (or more accurately plan E or F at this point). Hopefully this will not be necessary but if so, he would be given two doses of Mylotarg over two weeks, then have another biopsy to determine if a transplant is an option.
Please be praying for us this week. Not only for the results to be favorable but also for our hearts in this Incredibly nerve wracking time. I believe we will hear the results by next Monday and I will do my best to post a update shortly after we get the news.